Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Ideas on how to find good crew

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Lightingcam's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 24th, 2002
    Posts
    8
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    New York has a thriving independent film making scene. I would have thought you would not have had as much trouble as you have, in finding a crew, as indy films are usually short on budget as it is, so perhaps NYC crews are more likely to be more sympathetic to a worthwhile cause.

    Have you tried first filling the HOD (head of department) vacancies first. Contact working professionals i.e. Production designers, Sound recordists, DOPs, and perhaps if they are interested in your script, they may take time out of their busy working schedules, to commit time to work on your film for a reduced fee. If they are sufficiently impressed that your script, production, professionalism is worthy of them investing their time and skills to turning into a reality. Also it helps if they've got a couple of quiet weeks on their diary on the sames dates as your shoot.

    HODs can then hire / call in favours with support crews e.g a DOP may ask a clapper loader he knows to work as a focus puller on the production. For the clapper loader, he is gaining a break and earning more hands-on experience at the next level. An art director may jump at the chance to design a low budget production, as a Production Designer, for portfolio purposes.

    Most HODs will have a video showreel or portfolio so you can access whether their experience is suitable for your shoot, too.

    If the person you approach isn't available, maybe they can recommend a colleague. Film professionals usually will not recommend someone if they know they're not up to the job. That way, you should stay well clear of the wannabes and the wierdos.

    Good luck with finding that perfect crew.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member BrendaSmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 17th, 2000
    Posts
    40
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Wink

    I live in the NYC area. I am having trouble finding good crew I tried the ad,and got bad to very bad people. How can I get the Pros,yes I can pay maybe not Union pay. I need Set designers,builders,3D Artist, camera crew,editors. Some good tips to were to look.

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ June 25, 2002 12:34 PM: Message edited by: BrendaSmith ]</font>

  3. #3
    Inactive Member fullfuckinracecams's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 25th, 2002
    Posts
    9
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Pretty difficult to find proffessionals if you're not attatched to a studio.

    You could try this news group: rec.arts.movies.production

    Its going to require going through ads with a magnifying glass, to make sure you get decent people. Just search the internet though, there's bound to be some kind of digest set up for this type of thing in New York area - I mean, theres even one in the UK.

  4. #4
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Brenda, you don't strike me as the real deal.

    You strike me more as someone with a bullseye on their back that sez, take my money cuz I'm spending it no matter what.

    Find a producer, someone with a rep, and don't just spend your money just to spend it, you seem overly anxious to do your project immediately.

    Some of the best independent work starts with resolute planning. Are you really doing that?

    By the way, excellent advice lightingcam. [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img]

  5. #5
    Inactive Member BrendaSmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 17th, 2000
    Posts
    40
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I am The Producer, and yes I know I have alot to learn that is why you hire people Smart then you Like The DP. Yes I am the real deal and this is my Full Time Job. And the only way to learn is to do if I miss up ,I will just get back up again and do it again & Again & again until I do it right.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member GREATwarEAGLE's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 29th, 2002
    Posts
    530
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    try mandy.com

  7. #7
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    [img]frown.gif[/img]

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •